1. It’s all trial and error – Unfortunately there is no one size fits all when it comes to weight loss. You need to find what works for you and your lifestyle and stick to it. This process can be at times disheartening when it doesn’t work straight away, however, in the long term you will thank yourself.
2. Work with a health professional who is on your side – These days we are inundated with information about what is good and not good for us, however, knowledge does not lead to change. Why is it that we still eat food that we know are not good for us? Discovering why you make unhealthy food choices despite all the knowledge you have can be the tool that allows you to make life-long changes.
3. Keep it simple – There seems to be a new fad diet popping up every week and it is hard to keep up! If you are someone who has tried every diet in the world and still can’t lose weight… stop. This is all to do with clever marketing and most don’t have hard evidence to back them up. The best way to find out the best diet for you including the right proportion of carbohydrates, proteins and fats is to work with a health professional who understands your unique circumstance.
4. Be aware of the numbers on the scale – Monitoring your weight is a great way to track progress however there are many factors that can affect the number you see on the scale. Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of the day. Keep in mind that plateau in weight loss is very common once you have lost 5-10% of your body weight (your body’s way of making sure you survive). It is paramount to remind yourself you are doing a great job even if your weight plateaus, and continue to be consistent until your body realises that this is your ‘new normal’ which allows your body to lose more weight again.
5. Stay consistent in your weight loss journey– Losing weight becomes a bi-product when you invest in healthy lifestyle changes. Be consistent, get help, and enjoy the process that is going to give you so much energy and happiness.